By: Eco Promotional Products, inc.
Road trips can be made more fuel efficient by following a few simple tips:
- Drive more slowly and get more miles to the gallon.
- Remove extra weight from the car—100 extra pounds may cost 1 mpg.
- Avoid using roof racks and remove when not in use.
- Use cruise control on highway trips.
- For any stop lasting more than a minute, shut off the engine rather than letting it idle.
- Reduce the use of the air conditioner at low driving speeds. When driving over 40 mph, using the air conditioner costs less fuel than having the windows open.
- Park in the shade or leave the windows slightly open to reduce the need for air conditioning.
- Check tires—an under‐inflated tire can decrease fuel economy.